Beginnings and Endings

We had the most wonderful ending this past Monday. Brian finished his last class for his bachelor's degree!!! I'm so proud of him. It's weird now because I actually have Brian in the evening. For the last four years he's been doing schoolwork nearly every day/night. Since he started school only a year after we were married, this is going to take some getting used to. Also, I realize now that we haven't had as much time to get to know each other (I don't mean that as a double entendre either!). We haven't been strangers, but we just haven't had TIME together. We've always had to consider his school schedule and deadlines. Now we don't. Hmm. Wonder what will happen?

In other news, my new work schedule begins next week. For the first time in a year - I DON'T HAVE TO WORK ON SATURDAYS! Again, there is now time for Brian and me. And our kids! I get to see them, too! And I can go to the temple again! Hurray!

I've told Brian that he gets to help me take pictures for my tutorial. It's hard to get him to remember my projects because he's pretty into his own projects and they seem to encroach on my time, too. I'll just have to get bolder about reminding him that I need his help, too. Wish me luck.

My garden is growing well. Last night I harvested my first ear of corn. It is tiny! I've been picking zucchinis for a few days now and have hit on the idea of making zucchini chips out of them to eat with my salsa instead of tortilla chips. I made my first batch yesterday in my new dehydrator and they work GREAT! They are definitely a flavor to get used to tasting, but they'll cut down on my caloric intake and my food bill.

Speaking of food bill, I've been doing a project for a while now regarding once-a-month cooking. I've written down all the meals my family eats on a regular basis along with their shopping lists and all that. It turns out I've been spending about twice as much on food as I should have. Now I am trying to make meals in advance and put them in the freezer. On Monday, I made up six pizzas, wrapped them in plastic and put them in seal-a-meal bags. I am going to be making up a chart for the front of the freezer with a list of all the meals for the month on it that we can cross out what we've had and I can shop more sanely. I'm embarrassed that I've misspent so badly.

Oh, forgot to mention that I've read two more books on my list for this year: Tom Sawyer and Misty of Chincoteague. Luckily I enjoyed both more than I thought I would. I'm dreading reading Old Yeller. Ugh. Next on the list is Howl's Moving Castle.

So: endings (school), beginnings (food sanity and new library schedule).

Much is good.

Comments

Jacquie Huang said…
Wow, Heather - I have seen you folding before but I never knew the extent of your creativity - these books are truly beautiful works of art!
RoMo said…
Zucchini chips. Interesting idea.
April Hajek said…
It is a whole new world outside of school. Now that I have been done for a few months, I can't imagine going back to it and remembering all that I did not do while in school. Enjoy the freedom and your husband!

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make Folded Books - by Heather Hajek Eddy

How to Fold Wedding Hearts