Coming Up With Titles


One of the hardest things I have to do after I make my folded books is to come up with a name. When I was at BYU in the Fine Arts program, I was exposed to a lot of art - most of it pretentious. A good piece of work can be ruined by a stupid name. One friend of mine named all of his sculptures "Opus No. 1, 2, 3, etc." It got rid of one pretentious element (high falutin' name), but was pretentious in that he had no musical background or musical connection in his work. Duh.

Anyway, I was sitting in church with my sis-in-law and together we brainstormed names. Gena is about the most down-to-earth person I know. I started listing all the church-type words I could think of that sounded pretty: eternity, truth, hope, charity and all that. Together, we came up with about 30+ words that would make good names for my work.

And then when I made up the pieces, I named them the first thing that popped in my mind when I looked at them.

That's why one is named Baleen. I couldn't help but think of the underneath of mushrooms or whales' mouths... Duh me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make Folded Books - by Heather Hajek Eddy

How to Fold Wedding Hearts