Book Art: Magnetic Knife Holder


I saw this post on Instructables on making your own magnetic knife holder from a piece of wood and computer hard drive magnets. I love that idea, but found a way to make it a bit more personal for a book lover like myself.

How to make a magnetic knife block from a book:

Materials:
magnets (I got mine from salvaged hard drives, but this is a good place, too!)
book
x-acto knife
permanent glue


1. Start by choosing a book. I chose this old cookbook that worked well with my kitchen's colors.


2. Measuring your magnets, cut a well inside the front of the book block deep enough for the magnets to sit comfortably, but snugly.


3. Put a good amount of glue in the well and place your magnets inside. I broke a magnet trying to get it off one of the metal things - they are VERY brittle - and so I put the pieces in the gaps.


4. Next, glue the cover of the book down over the magnets and glue the edges of the book block to seal shut. Bye-bye recipes from the early 60's...


5. Place a heavy weight on it until it is dry. Afterwards, you have a couple of choices. You can drill two holes in the back of the book and put those keyhole hangers in them or do what I did because I'm impatient.


Voila! Sit it on your countertop and love the convenience of steak knives and paring knives within reaching distance. What I love about this is that they won't get dulled by rubbing against wood inside a block. And it's a book, of course.

As soon as I get more magnets, I hope to make a larger one for my big knives. If I'd had more money, I would have bought 1/8x1x2 magnets for this job and put them a lot closer together for better hold. Still, this works for now and I love how it looks!

Comments

Holly said…
I love this and must have one!
This is brilliant!! I am in love with this idea. Great job!
Em said…
I absolutely love this! Thanks so much for the tutorial and the unbelievably cool idea. I definitely need one of these.
Carrie said…
I love this! Thanks for sharing.
NanaBeast said…
You are such a CLEVER girl. This is superb. Thanks for the excellent instructions, too.
Janice said…
What a great 'novel' idea! I want to find just the right book to make one for me as well! Thanks for showing how it can be done.
NanaJana

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make Folded Books - by Heather Hajek Eddy

How to Fold Wedding Hearts