Book Purses


I am not fashionable. When I buy a purse, I buy A purse. One purse. It is bought with the idea of "ooh... pretty! ooh, conveniently sized!" My current purse is red. It matches nothing, but I'm not fashionable, so that's okay. Therefore, it may surprise people that I have made a purse.

The difference with this purse is that it is made from a book. I discovered the idea in this book. I've seen several people on etsy making book purses (very expensive!), but this was the first one I'd seen using paper as an interior liner. I like sewing, but prefer paper to fabric.

The first one I made was a clutch. It took me less than an hour to do, and most of that was taken up trying to understand the very poor directions in the book and to learn to use my hole puncher and eyelet tool. (Hammers are now my friend.) I finally just used my book-making knowledge and put it together in a way I thought would work. Stupid book. The paper liner was the real kicker for me - the reason I wanted to make this. I was worried that it would feel flimsy and weak, but was surprised by how strong it actually was. Whoo hoo!



The only problem I encountered was the result of ignorance - it held hardly anything! Nor did I put a clasp on this one to hold it closed. I guess I suck. I let my daughter take it to church. She put one ring in it and a necklace.


I need a bigger one for myself. Red, I think.

Comments

Holly said…
squeee, fantastic! I must have one of these! Another thing to add to the project queue...
Anonymous said…
Oi. Parabéns por seu excelente blog. Gostaria de lhe convidar para visitar meu blog e conhecer alguma coisa sobre o Brasil. Abração

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make Folded Books - by Heather Hajek Eddy

How to Fold Wedding Hearts